Tuesday, February 16, 2016

Weaving the Sea

I was thinking of making a scarf that was weft focused. I had read about the difference between warp and weft focused weaves in a weaving book. I knew that in order to achieve the look I would need my warp threads to be smaller then my weft.



Late last year I inherited a butt load of size 10 crochet cotton in various colors. I had been using them for tatting lace, but realized that I would never get through all that thread in one lifetime. I decided that this thread would be used as my warp.



The color inspiration came from a simple stroll through my local Jo-Ann's. They have a line of yarn called, Buttercream Rainbow Boucle. This yarn is super soft. I used it to knit a couple of shawls awhile back and just one ball of yarn makes a generous shawl. The blue and teal colorway caught my eye. I had been weaving in pinks and purples lately, so I figured this was a good color break. I instantly thought about water and the sea when I saw the yarn.



Dressing the loom with the thin thread was actually easier then I thought it would be. I didn't have any issues with tangles or tension. I have noticed that I am winding too much yarn on my shuttle. The yarn is so thin and soft that I forget about the bulk that boucle adds.



The color changes in the yarn keep the work interesting. I was afraid at first that the amount of green in the yarn would create more of a mossy effect, but that blue and teal has enough pop to keep the scarf from looking too dull.


I hope to have this scarf finished by the end of the week. I have a few other projects that I am trying to wrap up. My hope is to have my knitting and quilting obligations done by March so that I will be able to focus full time on weaving.


No comments:

Post a Comment