Saturday, November 24, 2018

Lost and Found




Several years ago, I had started on a tatting project that was meant for my sister-in-law. It was the Pretty Petal Doily pattern that was published in the, "Traditional Tatting Patterns", book edited by Rita Weiss.




I had worked all the center pieces for the project in purple size 10 crochet cotton. But somehow in one of our military moves I had managed to lose the pieces that I made along with the thread. Eventually I would end up misplacing the book as well.




Over the years I would find the book, but would be missing the pieces. Then there were moments when I would rediscover the pieces, but misplace the book. Finally the gods have shown mercy upon me and allowed me to find the pieces and the book together.

Now I am working on finishing the doily. It was the project that I worked on during Lace Day.

( Side Story- At Lace Day a lady approached me and complimented me on the doily I was working on. She said that seeing the pattern brought back strong memories for her. She had made the same doily for her mother years ago. Her mother loved it so much and displayed it in a place of honor in her home. She would mention to everyone that her daughter had made the lovely doily for her. As her mother began to suffer from Alzheimer, she started to forget everything, even her own name. But she continued to remember the doily that her daughter had made for her. Even near the end, her mother still joyfully remembered the doily. I thought it was such a touching story. And it shows just how meaningful even the small simple things can be to the people we love.)




For the doily I decided to work the outside row in a lovely raspberry color which I think goes well with the purple. I have hardly let the doily out of my sight since I found the pieces. I take it would be in my purse and work on it while standing in lines or when I'm waiting at my doctor's office. It's only about 50% finished, yet I am getting a lot of compliments on it every time I pull it out to work on. I can't wait to see it finished and blocked.

No comments:

Post a Comment