Wednesday, November 18, 2015

My Tatting: Needle verses Shuttle

The other day I was thinking about howin the past I would run across kind, well meaning tatters who often felt it was their duty to teach me the 'right' way to tat, (aka, shuttle tatting).

I am a die-hard needle tatter, but there was a time I wasn't as sure of myself as I am now. Feeling that I was depriving myself in some way, I decided to set out and learn shuttle tatting.

Where I took to needle tatting like a fish to water, shuttle tatting felt more like trying to stuff a greased pig into a tube sock. I fumbled constantly, but talked myself into feeling that I couldn't call myself a true tatter unless I could use a shuttle.

Well, years have passed and with practice I have become a more confident tatter. I have used both shuttle and needle and have found the needle to be my true calling. I wanted to see just how different my skills in shuttle and needle tatting are now. So I timed myself with both shuttle and needle for exactly ten minutes each. Here are the results of my efforts:



As you can see from the picture, my needle tatting skills have well exceeded what I manged to accomplish using a shuttle. Although I do have to say that I am impressed that I managed to make recognizable rings with the shuttle considering all previous work usually looked like a tangled mess. 



I wonder if there are other needle tatters out there who feel like they are missing something by not knowing how to tat with a shuttle. Trust me, it's alright if you prefer to use a needle to tat. You are no less of a tatter then anyone else. The very fact that you have chosen to learn this beautiful art form and keep it alive makes you a great tatter in my book.

And for those who are fluent in shuttle tatting, I have much respect for the work that you do. And I am more then happy to pick up my needle and tat side by side with you any day.

No comments:

Post a Comment