Saturday, November 21, 2015

Running Out At Both Ends

In the process of making some coasters I found myself short at both ends (both the thread on the needle and on my ball was running out). This doesn't usually happen when I'm tatting. So, I thought I would take the opportunity to document how I handle changing threads. It's not some magical trick or anything. It's actually really simple, but sometimes its the simple things that are hard to remember.

So here is where I found myself, staring at two short ends. I could have attempted one more chain, but when having to change threads I find it easier to do so at the end of a ring.


First thing first, I hide the ends like I normally would when finishing a round.



See, all nice and tidy. 


Now to refill my little traveling ball of more thread.


Okay, ends hidden and new thread. now the easy part...


I put the new thread on the needle and slid the needle through the base of the last ring. I tied the thread to secure it to the area and then started tatting as if nothing ever happened.


See, now you can't even tell where the old thread ended and the new one started.


And the blue coaster ias all done.


No comments:

Post a Comment