Tuesday, November 24, 2015

Tatting With Baker's Twine



I was shopping at Tuesday Morning the other day when I stumbled upon some Baker's Twine by Darice. I was curious to see how baker's twine would look being tatted. There were several colors avaible and at only $0.79 each it would have been easy to buy one of every color. But I refrained myself and choose to work with just the blue and white.



Since this was just a test, I picked out a fairly simple pattern from one of my tatting books. Treating the twine like size 10 crochet cotton I used a size 8 needle, which is the largest that I have.



The twine is rougher in feel and pulling both the thread and tale end through the stitches proved to be a bit of a challenge. But I did manage to create a decent design. The twine is a bit stiffer then crochet cotton, which makes it a good candidite for projects like ornaments or earrings, where stiffness is desired.



The blue and white strips are a bit too busy for me, but as a accent with a solid color I think it would work just fine. I could see using this twine in the future for something like a tatted button that could be added to a little girl's headband. I think the busy strip effect lends itself well to tatted items for kids.



I'm curious to know if any other needle or shuttle tatters have worked with baker's twine and what their experince was working with it.


No comments:

Post a Comment