Wednesday, September 26, 2018

Nina Libin's Floating Heart

I'm apart of the weekly online tatting class hosted by Georgia Seitz. This pass week we walked through the pattern for making the Floating Heart Necklace by Nina Libin.

The Original Design


It is a lovely piece with a hefty amount of beads used. I had no real desire to tat with as small of a thread as the pattern recommended, so I went with a nice size 10.

My design after some hand blocking


The beads are a metallic black and came from a broken necklace I had realized early on that the weight of the beads would slightly distort the pattern, but I loved the color too much to change it. I was curious to work out the pattern and see the finished results.

Actual blocking of the piece


I'll be honest, it looked like a hot mess after I finally woven in all the ends. I knew the piece would need some serious blocking.

Really had to get those beads to lay down


I must say that the floating heart came out better then I expected.

After blocking


It's too big and heavy to wear as a necklace. So I plan to add some fabric stiffener and turn it into a Christmas ornament. (I know, metallic black isn't a traditional holiday color, but anything that shimmers is fair game on my Christmas tree.)

My favorite pic of my floating heart

No comments:

Post a Comment