Wednesday, October 10, 2018

Faux Tatting?



Needle Tatting Two Color Test Piece


So I was doing a Google search on something about needle tatting when I stumbled upon a blog article about how this particular blogger did not like needle tatting and didn't think it should be called 'real tatting' at all.

 Since the article had been written several years ago, I'm going to assume that the author by now has grown to respect needle tatting a bit more. But the article and the comments made by other readers in the blog brought up the ever-going debate between needle and shuttle tatters.

Starting a Doily in Needle Tatting


My small side rant: (In the article there was an attempt to do a comparison between needle and shuttle tatting. The fact that the comparison was made between the work of someone that has been shuttle tatting for 10+ years and needle tatting from someone who only learned the craft two days ago was 100% bias and should never be used as a legit comparison in any way shape or form.)

Many shuttle tatters I have ran into do admire my work but are quick to point out that it is not 'real tatting'. I've heard the comments more then once, "So, Joi, when are you finally going to learn real tatting?" or, "Your work is great, too bad it's useless because it wasn't done on a shuttle." Even in entering my work in the local fair I have been stopped with, "You can't enter your work in the tatted lace category, it's not real tatting." Needless to say, none of the above comments have stopped me from continuing my love for needle tatting.

The Results of My Efforts in Learning Shuttle Tatting


I discovered needle tatting because of shuttle tatting. Private lessons, books, Youtube videos and weeks of serious practice on a shuttle resulted in tangled messes of knots and serious cramping and pain in my left hand. But I was determined to learn shuttle tatting. I was told to try different shuttles, I was given different hand positions to try and even used a variety of different thread sizes to work with. But my efforts always resulted in just more pain and frustration. Almost six months into it I could manage a few slow stitches and not much else. It was at a local craft store, while I was looking for yet another tatting book that would hold the holy grail answer to help me finally learn tatting, that I came across the book Barbra Foster, "Learn Needle Tatting". Out of curiosity I bought the book which included a set of needles. An hour later I had tatted my first bookmark and by the next day I had a part of a lace collar, another bookmark and was starting on a lace trim.

Over the next six years I continued to try and learn the 'real' way of tatting. But I came to realize it wasn't me, but the tool I was using that blocked my way of learning how to tat. There is always more then one way to do something and tatting is no exception. Needle tatting is not a 'lesser-then form of tatting', and it is definitely not  'faux tatting'. It is just a different way to tat.

Results After Second Day of Learning Needle Tatting


(Honestly, if you want to call needle tatting, 'faux tatting', then you have to call shuttle tatting by it's real name, 'faux point lace', since shuttle tatting was originally a very bastardized attempt at trying to mimic the beautiful form of needle lace. Ironic, I know!)

Doing a lot of demonstrations to the public I have run into so many people who have given up on tatting because they could never get the hang of shuttle tatting. Or those who use to shuttle tat, but health issues no longer allowed their hands to hold a shuttle. When they see me tatting with a needle their eyes light up with the possibility of finally being about to produce the lace they so admire and love. To me, any method that can get people making lace is a good thing.

Needle Tatting From Vintage Shuttle Tatting Patterns

In my experience, most people who are not tatters cannot tell the difference between shuttle and needle tatting. And truthfully, most people don't care. What they see is beautiful work that took many hours and twice as much patience to make. They appreciate the labor of love and those who dedicate themselves to the craft.

Frankly, tatting is always tittering between near to complete extinction in the public's eye.  With the constant uphill battle we have in teaching and keeping this craft alive, I don't think any tatter has the right to look down their nose at another tatter. The very fact that in a world that doesn't see the need for lace, we curious individuals feel the strong pull to continue to make beautiful lace, should be something that is admired and respected- no matter if your lace is made with a shuttle, needle, bobbin or hook.

No comments:

Post a Comment